- More system models: in addition to attributional modelling, ecoinvent is now the only major database also supporting consequential modelling.
- New datasets: new and updated datasets in the fields of electricity production, recycling activities, chemical production, fruits, vegetables and many other sectors.
- Updates of the datasets from ecoinvent v2: many datasets from ecoinvent v2 have been edited and updated for ecoinvent v3.
- New water flows: consistent modelling of water inputs and outputs in most parts of the database for impact of water withdrawal, use and consumption.
- New properties: all products in the ecoinvent database now come with information on physical and other properties, such as dry mass, wet mass, carbon content, etc.
- New global supply chains: the new version of ecoinvent contains global supply chains for many products, allowing a more integrated perspective on products and processes.
- More consistency: new data quality guidelines to ensure coherent data acquisition and reporting.
- More transparency: the documentation of inventories is directly included in the single datasets, often with traceable calculation of individual flows. Additionally, the forums and editorial sites provide sector specific information referring to information concerning a number of similar inventories.